Electronic repeat dispensing (eRD) is the paperless version of repeat dispensing and can offer several benefits both you and the practice. It is a service that requires your verbal or written consent to sign up to. This can be obtained at either the practice or your nominated community pharmacy. Understanding is key to ensure this system works smoothly.
Benefits of eRD include:
- Allows prescribing of a defined number of prescriptions (no longer than 12 months) with one digital signature. This reduces the number of visits you make to the surgery to hand in your repeat;
- The prescriptions are stored on the spine and can be downloaded to the Pharmacy at intervals which are set by the prescriber
- The nominated Pharmacy can be changed at any time, the prescriptions will remain available for the newly nominated Pharmacy.
- An early request can be made via the nominated Pharmacy i.e. if going on holiday – A supply may be made at the Pharmacists discretion. This will be a decision made on an individual basis.
- eRD can be cancelled at any time at item or prescription level, which will then cancel subsequent issues on the spine – The Pharmacy will then be unable to download further prescriptions.
Examples of prescriptions suitable for eRD prescribing:
- If you are signed up to a Pharmacy for ‘Managed Repeats – These requests are usually made on your behalf by the Pharmacy.
- If your medication is synchronised and your medication is issued at regular intervals
- Your medication regime has not changed over the past couple of months – Or not due to change in the near future. Please discuss with this with the Clinical Pharmacist or a doctor if you are unsure.
- If you have a long-term condition and your medication regime has remained stable over the past couple of months or not due to change in the near future. Please discuss with this with the Clinical Pharmacist or a doctor if you are unsure.
Please note that your suitability for the service will need to be individually with the Clinical Pharmacist or one of our doctors.
Please see the videos below for more information in regards to eRD.