The practice was started in about 1926 by Dr Edith Lindsay, followed in about 1937 by Dr Helen Reynolds. Since then there have been six married female doctors in the practice – all of whom have had three children, eight of whom have been born while the doctors were in practice – so the practice is well experienced in maternity leave locums.
Originally the practice was in a house in Victoria Road where Dr Lindsay lived. The surgery was closed from midday to 5.30 pm when calls were received there and visits taken. About 1968 a baby clinic was started on one Wednesday afternoon a month and also at about this time District Nurses and Health Visitors came into greater contact with us; the beginning of the practice team as we know it today.
Soon after this a Health Centre was built for all the doctors in Aldershot. This was most welcome, as almost everyone practiced from their home or an extension built onto their home and space was at a premium. In 1973 we all moved into the large spacious building, with a treatment room – staffed part of the day by district nurses – no Practice Nurses then.
By 1990 the number of doctors working there had almost doubled, and space was again at a premium. So in 1991 the practice moved to its own premises, Alexandra Surgery – where there was more room and congenial surroundings.
In December 2010 we moved to our new building, Princes Gardens Surgery, in the High Street to enable the re-generation of Aldershot project to commence.